Los Suns: Bienvenidos a Los E.U.

Written by Ro Chambeau on May 7th, 2010.

News item:  The Phoenix Suns wore jerseys with “Los Suns” as a show of protest against SB 1070.

Los Suns: Enter across our border today

That was a swing and a miss in the eyes of one Californian.

This advice from Lakers Coach Phil Jackson:

“I don’t think teams should get involved in the political stuff. And I think this one’s still kind of coming out to balance as to how it’s going to be favorably looked upon by our public. If I heard it right the American people are really for stronger immigration laws, if I’m not mistaken. Where we stand as basketball teams, we should let that kind of play out and let the political end of that go where it’s going to go.”

They are really rallying to your side, Los Suns.

In the article on ESPN.com, Jackson recalled how he wore a campaign pin for Bill Bradley when Bradley was seeking the Democratic Presidential nomination with the interesting note that the NBA made him stop wearing it.

Contiuing media misrepresentation:  note how the ESPN reporter also injected his own opinion into the article after Jackson stated what the AZ legislature had done:

…I was caught off guard by his take on the Phoenix Suns’ peaceful protest of Arizona’s new immigration enforcement law in the form of wearing their “Los Suns” jerseys.

First Jackson, who has showed lefty leanings in the past, indicated he had no problem with the controversial state Senate Bill 1070.

“Am I crazy, or am I the only one that heard [the legislature] say ‘we just took the United States immigration law and adapted it to our state,’” Jackson said.

I told him they usurped the federal law.

“It’s not usurping, it’s just copying it is what they said they did, and then they gave it some teeth to be able to enforce it,” Jackson said.

6 Responses for “Los Suns: Bienvenidos a Los E.U.”

1. Charlie W says:

Well, to be fair the article was from the writer’s blog. Although the line between blog and a news media’s actual site is definitely blurred these days.

It is kind of nice to see someone from the left (Coach Jackson) present how simple the law really is. Also nice to see many commenters taking these uninformed and ignorant “reporters” to task for how little they actually know.

2. azcowgirl says:

This is an interesting article. How would the suns like it if people snuck in without paying, wanted free food at the food court, took open seats on the court or demanded seats in luxury boxes.

3. Liz says:

I’m very disappointed in Steve Kerr and his comments against the immigration law. I thought he was above that kind of thing.

4. Jim says:

I pray that we can get along. Many of our faith leaders on the right are taking a stance against SB1070 because Jesus was an immigrant. Why can’t we love eachother and really read our bibles?

5. Ro Chambeau says:

Why can’t the federal government secure our border like the Constitution tasks them to? Why can’t the federal government make a way for people to come here legally for work or citizenship? While you are reading your Bible, make a note of the part where it says to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s.

Look, you want anyone to come into this country, then let’s change the law and move on.

6. Cabeza de Muerto says:

Well, golly, the Suns were so busy concentrating on politics that the Lakers smoked them. How very sad. This is the first time in my life that I wasn’t rooting for the Suns so it was no great loss to me. I wasn’t rooting against them exactly but I just didn’t care about them. The Lakers were doing what they were supposed to be doing: concentrating on basketball.